ANGRAJAZZ – Festival International de Jazz de Angra do Heroísmo – is an event organized by a non-profit association – Associação Cultural Angrajazz – with the support of the Angra do Heroísmo City Council, the Regional Departments of Culture and Tourism, the Turismo de Portugal, and private sponsors.
It takes place annually, in Angra do Heroísmo, Terceira Island, Azores, a middle Atlantic town considered by UNESCO as world heritage.
The first edition of this festival took place in 1999, and since then it has been happening every year, in the beginning of October, always around the 5th of October Portuguese holiday.
Until 2003 the festival took place on a XVII century cloister of an old convent. Since 2003 the Angrajazz moved to the new Centro Cultural e de Congressos de Angra do Heroísmo, an old bullfight ring transformed into a cultural center.
The semi circular auditorium turns into a big jazz club, fitting 550 persons, with the musicians very close to the public, which gives it a very exciting and truthful atmosphere.
The Angrajazz claims itself as a main-stream festival, with the main purpose of spreading and developing the appreciation of this kind of music in the Azores Islands.
Some of the concerts realized at the festival have been considered, by the specialized media, among the best of the year in Portugal.
The Associação Cultural Angrajazz organizes also some side events during the festival like workshops, conferences, expositions, cinema and others.
As a result of some of these workshops, the Angrajazz Orchestra was created in 2002, playing for the first time at the 4º Angrajazz. This Orchestra is formed by 20 local musicians, and directed by the musicians and professors Pedro Moreira and Claus Nymark.
ANGRAJAZZ – FESTIVAL INTERNACIONAL DE JAZZ DE ANGRA DO HEROISMO
- Associação Cultural Angrajazz
- Câmara Municipal de Angra do Heroismo
PRODUCTION AND ARTISTIC DIRECTION
José Ribeiro Pinto, Miguel Cunha, Rui Borba, Luis Elmiro Mendes
CENTRO CULTURAL E DE CONGRESSOS DE ANGRA DO HEROÍSMO
Angra do Heroismo, Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal
- Grand Auditorium – feats 550 persons, arranged as a big jazz club.
- Small Auditorium/Cinema – feats 158 persons.
- Main Atrium with 300 square meters (expositions, sailing of merchandising and CDs)
- Piano bar with esplanade.
Beginning of October – In 2017, October 4 to 7
- City Council of Angra do Heroísmo
- Regional Department of Culture
- Regional Department of Tourism
- Turismo de Portugal
- Private sponsors
- Tickets and merchandising
PRESENT EDITION 2017
- Angrajazz Orchestra (Azores)
- Baptiste Trotignon and Minimo Garay Duo (France)
- Charles Tolliver Tentet featuring Stanley Cowell
- Ensemble Super Moderne (Portugal)
- Matt Wilson Quartet (USA)
- Yilian Canizares Quintet (Cuba, Switerzland)
- Jon Irabagon Quartet (USA)